The following unsolicited comments are a combination of those that were written in our guest book and those posted on our tripadvisor.com page. Our special thanks to Eden Loi, one of our work exchange guests who had the patience to decipher, transcribe and type each of them into word format. Eden is the author of the first review.
It’s tough to start writing you another thank you note. As a part of our work-trade agreement, I’ve read all of them already, and typed them all out, too. So I know the in’s and out’s of a thank-you note for this place. I’ll admit, for some of the handwriting, I was stumped. But the notes are all generally quite similar, so it was easy enough to fill in the blanks. They all attest to your hospitality, warmth, kindness, wisdom. They all mention the wonderful volunteer staff for their kindly assistance and comfortable presence. They all, of course, gush about the stunning, verdant land that surrounds and envelopes this quaint, very feng-shui sanctuary. So there, that’s my trouble. What else to add? I suppose I’ll thank you for this single moment at which time I am writing this, since it is uniquely mine, uniquely now. The fire downstairs is crackling and filling the house with gentle heat. My stomach is full and I hear the rain falling behind me. It’s rainy, even this close to June. The sky is at nearly 7pm the same shade of ambiguous grey that is has been since I woke up this morning, but somehow the leaves are glowing. I don’t know where you are now, but earlier we sat by the fire and had a good chat, which I’m now reminded of. I think it may have been the first time in my life I’ve had such a leisurely chat, sitting by such a welcome fire, in such a cozy living room. Growing up in Southern California, I know little about that sort of forest cottage comfort, and could only draw the unusual comparison to those old Keebler elf cookie commercials, following the elves as they fall into mischief trying to make cookies in their cottage. Maybe it wasn’t such an unusual comparison. The elves and gnomes around here are a nice touch. They add a further twinkle to your amazing solar lanterns outside. Anyways, I appreciated this experience very much. Thank you. Earlier, I was sitting alone in Frodo’s, and started laughing out loud, for no reason. Or for every reason. Regardless, it’s not something that happens to me very often, to laugh out loud alone. Really great energy here. See you, and thanks again! -Eden – May 2017
Dear Michael and friends, It has been such a pleasure to be here, in this peaceful place. It has enabled me to be quiet and reflect as well as it has opened my eyes to the possibilities…The possibilities of my dreams coming to life as Michael’s dreams have. Not only are the surroundings a blessing, but the people here shine like the crystals that lace the property. Thank you Michael, for this gift, and may it continue on giving. Your friend, Katy
Michael & Rudolph, We apologize for leaving without saying proper goodbyes, however, we decided to head to The Farm in Tenn. And needed to get an early start. We wanted to thank you so much for creating and holding this space so that we could come and experience it these past few days. Good luck and much love to both of you. Hope to see you again soon. We loved the treehouse! Love, Jess & Joe
Michael…Thank you so much for your spirit, gifts, energy, and enthusiasm you so willingly share with others. I truly enjoyed my recent stay in the Bali House and meeting everyone in the IIGL Board Family. What an amazing and extraordinary group of people. I am blessed to be a part of it all. Thank you, as well, for all of the time, effort, love, and sweat you put into the sanctuary. It is a beautiful, magical, fairy wonderland and I appreciate it…and you, so much. Peace — Lisa
Thank you! As I look back on 2010 I realize that my visit to your center was one of the many blessings bestowed upon me—thanks for all you do to provide a spiritual retreat for us all. Joan
Dear Michael, Thank you for opening and sharing the beautiful, mystical, magic land and the little world that you have created. I was reawakened to the playful, innocent child within me which allows me to see and feel the magic. These lovely fairies have been in my home a while and have given me joy. We are down-sizing, preparing for an eventual move to smaller quarters. They like space to move. I am certain they will continue to bring joy to others in your world. With loving gratitude, love & light. Peggy & Jack
Hope to come borrow some more of that magical feedings soon—and again—thank you for providing a spiritual haven. I’ve sent a few gnomes—the ones I saw @ Mtn Light helped me smile, open up my hear and know that it ain’t that far from real & fantasy. I hope these will help some one else in whatever way they need—an inspiration to feel free & be happy heart Soon! Camary
Dear Michael, Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful and peaceful Mountain Light Sanctuary. It was the perfect place for me to be to celebrate my 50th birthday. It is a sacred place and the Garden Suite gave me a sense of coming home. Your wise words also blessed me and will continue to do so as I go along my path. I know I will return here and my heart says often. I see you surrounded by a warm and radiant light, healthy and wise. Thank you, Lori
Hi Michael, I want to thank you for sharing such a beautiful place w/ me—and thank God for showing you the way—my visit was brief but so very peaceful and the break I needed. I’m now trying to remind myself to “take a break” and find myself wherever I am. I’ve always been in touch w/ myself but sometimes it’s hard to view myself honestly—I’ll think I know myself and then there is always a surprise around the corner. I’m trying to have the light & free feelings I had @ Mountain Light. It is truly a spiritual and special place, a place I felt safe to let go.
Michael, You, best of all people know what’s been worked through to get to this part of the story. I want you to know that I truly honor and cherish every moment of memories I have from December 10, 2007 on till now. So much worked through and so very much gained and multiplied. Thanks! We appreciate you. We thank you. For everything. Love, Lou & Scott
Dear Michael, What a beautiful safe-haven you have created at Mountain Light Sanctuary! The love you have put into your vision for this place of healing and gratitude is apparent everywhere… Thank you for the flowers, thank you for the sacred space, thank you for the benign attitude you bring. Love, Jack and Theta
Dearest Michael, Thank you ever so much for manifesting this beautiful oasis. The love and generosity of the visitors, the land, the water and the stillness has quieted my mind, erased my emotional chatter and brought me back to life. If you will have me, I will be back. You have a wonderful family. I enjoyed myself immensely and have come to the realization that I am not my ego. Like you, I had a lot of my existence tied into my “work” role. I’m going to take the month of October as a sabbatical to continue the “core work” I began here. Thanks from the core of my being for yoru love and hospitality. Hunter J.
Dear Michael, I really enjoyed staying here, working with you & talking with you. Thank you for everything. Asheville & Bernardsville are beautiful, especially Mountain Light Sanctuary. Have a great trip to Africa & be well safe and happy always. Best wishes and thanks, Ger
Michael, Thanks again for everything. I feel blessed to have come here this weekend to have found this amazing, healing place. Thank you for taking the time with me yesterday. Your recommendations for the books and our conversation helped me a lot. I really do feel that my time here has been a turning point—a big step, a beginning to true healing and reaching the state of happiness and peace I want to cultivate in my life. Much love and light to you. Thanks for creating this space for people to come and heal. Amy
Dear Michael, Just some photographs I took while visiting your beautiful Sanctuary this past summer. Check out the one from my room after one of the rains! I hope this card finds you well, and that the new year brings you all you’ve hoped for, including happiness and good health. I hope to come visit again in the next few years—there’s so many paces I want to see, and I’m planning on Germany, my mother’s birthplace. Happy Holidays, Loretta C.
Dear Michael, This week at the Mountain Light Sanctuary has been very precious to me—one of the highlights of my trip. I have particularly enjoyed the unique combination of the magical and the domestic which you’ve created. Thank you for being such a wonderful host. All the best, Nina
Dear Michael, What a place! What a place! You are an inspiration to us all—your generosity, gratitude…and hearty laugh!! Thank you for welcoming me. I can’t wait to share more stories. Cate
Dear Michael, Thank you again for providing such a beautiful place to visit! After spending this short time here, my stress level has gone WAY down. I have also learned a lot about what makes me me—and it really isn’t all that bad . I would like to come back again in October after the leaves change—first for one night…again on a Sunday. This time I would like to stay in the lodge. Will contact you soon about dates. Thank you again! Elizabeth Gray
Thank you for a truly magical, amazing weekend! I’ll be recommending you to friends & family, and will definitely be back!! -Kate
Michael, Thank you so much for being such a wonderful host. This trip and this place was exactly what I needed in my life! Thank you also for your insight and guidance. I look forward to leading a more purposeful life, and finding my place in the world. Molly
Thank you for cultivating & sharing this beautiful space. I’m already planning my return. Tara
Michael— Thank you for sharing this amazing, serene place! I have found solace and healing here and hope to return someday. Shanti, Peace, Lisa Schaufman
Dear Michael, Thank you for sharing and stewarding the sanctuary. I am headed back to the ‘desert’ but on the way out realized I love the desert spirituality of the early desert Fathers/Mothers! I think I’ll look at it another way when I get home. It was a blessing to be able to work on your land. Thanks! I put $100 under the gnomes on the kitchen table. Let me know if that works from your end. In zen we use the Pali word “DANA” which means the spirit of generosity and gifts made in that spirit. Sooo…here’s a little treat next time you get to town. It just started to rain again so I am back to the reality of Cincy weather. Loved the little Frodo house…what a contrast of dark “in the womb” and light (in the open)…Loved the sunshine. May your path remain blessed. Namaste, Sue
Thank you Michael! Sorry I missed you this morning. I greatly enjoyed my stay in the Frodo’s & the many gifts and lessons from spending time at the Sanctuary.
Dear Mountain Light Sanctuary, I came here feeling that I would receive love and care but left knowing that there are people in this world that are not only like me, but a thousand times better. I may be a little too loud for this peaceful place but the calm brings me back to my center. The nature is magnificent, that goes without saying…and the people that inhabit this place are what really make it, like Michael, Keith, Ted, La, Rudolph and So forth. I pray this sanctuary stays open to all until the end of human time! Samantha Kieley
Every time I’ve come here it’s like pushing a reset button in my life. Thank you for being an amazing, light-filled caretaker in this magical place. Paz, Zulayka
Dearest Friends, Thank you for your hospitality and sharing your beautiful space with us. We have traveled incredible spiritual distances both personally and as a couple since being there. I cannot begin to describe the wonderous evolution Billy and I have gone through together. Thank you. With that being said I regret to say our time here has come to an end (for now). We expected to stay longer but something came up that we must attend to at home. We both feel that we found what we were looking for, and our stay breathed life back into our hearts. I feel we are prepared to start this next chapter of our lives together. So on to the next adventure. Love and Light, Collette & Billy.
Dear Michael, Many thanks for allowing us to celebrate at your home. Our friends and family absolutely loved being there. In the words of ten year old Jasmine, “I love this place. It’s so…natural!” I felt a lot of joy seeing how the specific places there—from the flower garden to the “beach” to the small circles of strong chairs—drew people to connect with another and with the land. Thanks be, to you, to the other guardians of that Land, and to the land itself. Jessica
Michael, Thank you for opening up Mountain Light to us! It’s unique style and beauty is nothing short of magical. Thank you for making it happen and being so kind to the people who pass through. And thank you for being open to us. – Chloe
Michael, Thank you for an absolutely beautiful Mountain Light experience! It was amazing, thank you for your beautiful energy and generous, warm hospitality. I would very much like to visit again sometime, I will certainly stay in touch. Thank you! Thank you! What an inspiration. Love always, Clarity
Dear Michael, I am a senior civil engineering student at Michigan State University. I am pursuing a degree in structural design and I have long since begun my search for a way to bring the beauty of nature back into a culture that is continually distancing itself from the world from which it sprang. The sanctuary that you have created is beautifully inspirational and it truly belies the artistry of a remarkable individual. My housemate and close friend Rick stayed at your sanctuary for a week in late August, and has since mentioned that you might begin work on several tree-houses next summer, as new additions to the sanctuary. I am writing to extend a helping hand. I have just taken on an independent study with my professor of structural design for which I have chosen a treehouse as the final design project. If there were any way you could take me in as an apprentice of sorts during the summer of 2011, I feel that I could gain invaluable knowledge and hands-on training from someone who already has the ability and will to create what mostly people can hardly dream. Upon my graduation from college, I intend to travel abroad and create simple, original homes that are both environmentally sustainable and beautiful. By working with a man of your artistry and aesthetic skill, I fell that I could cultivate an active and humble attitude toward nature that rarely exists in the minds of my fellow engineers. Thank you for your time. Please contact me if you are interested in discussing this further. I have included my professional resume, on a slightly less organic medium. Sincerely, Aaron S
Thank you Michael, For this beautiful place and wonderful experience. I know that this will only be the first of many times to visit your Sanctuary. There have been many memories and realizations that will far outlast the 4 days I was here. Thank you for changing and enriching my life. Jacob E
Dear Michael, Thank you so much for sharing your special place with us for our wedding. Steve and I appreciate all that you did to make everything just right and to accommodate such a big event. Everything was just perfect. Mountain Light is beautiful and unique, and we look forward to visiting again soon. Best, Jaella
Michael, Thank you! For loaning me this book. I am sorry that it’s taken me so long to return it. I seem to procrastinate writing over and over again. I cannot express how much I love the Sanctuary. It is a magical place. I hope to return again and again, and without long lapses in between. I am so grateful to you for creating your vision and making it the welcoming place that it is. I plan on returning as soon as I can make it happen. Peace, Lori
Dear Michael, Wishing you a warm and joyful holiday season into an exciting, transformative new year! I wanted to sincerely thank you for your generosity in hosting myself, Phoenix, and the Dharma Bums. What a joyous opportunity it was! Your beautiful home and warmth of yourself, as well as Rodolphe and your guests was so greatly appreciated. Say hello to Rodolphe! I hope he made it to Hawaii! I will be going there myself next month to continue the journey. Thank you for the work that you do and for the beautiful space that you hold, physically and emotionally! I hope that our paths cross again and I would love to come visit in the future! Be well! Love always, Clarity
Dear Margie and Michael, It has been an enormous pleasure for Emmanuelle and I. It really is a fantastic, quiet, peaceful place. Margie, you’ve been really kind to us and we were glad to meet you. Behind this message lies our donation. We would have liked and wanted to give more; for we really gave what we are able to give, though we think it’s not enough. Hoping to come back someday. Best, Emmanuelle and Paul
Dear Michael, I have yet to find anywhere on Earth that ignites the spirit to reach its full potential as your Sanctuary. I cannot explain the way in which my hands responded to the beauty of Mountain Light. I watched them patiently produce art that was far beyond their capabilities. Come July or August, I am taking a lengthy trip around the country with my girlfriend, who just may be my fiancé by the time the trip comes to an end. I would love to bing her to the Sanctuary and introduce the two of you. I was hoping to help with the treehouse project if that is still being done this summer. I miss David and Zeke. We are going to be living out of the beautiful, well-aged, champagne mini-van that found its way to the Sanctuary last summer. We are going to stay with friends and anyone else who will take us in for a day or two. If you know of any friends in interesting places in the country who may be interested in hosting us for a few days, would you pose the question to them? I have been in communication with the Cincinnati ladies and if the stars align, we just might meet at Mountain Light again soon. Sincerely, Aaron S
Michael, Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful Sanctuary with me! It was a treat and I’m sure I’ll be back many times and hopefully again soon! You have created a masterpiece! Many thanks, Julie
Michael, I’m keeping silent for the rest of the day but, want to thank you for having me. This place is WONDERFUL! I will be back. Most likely the fall. Blessed be, Christy
Michael, Just wanted to say thank you for all you’ve done to make this place so wonderful. Once again it was an amazing and inspiring visit, and hopefully it won’t be long before I am able to return once more. Best wishes, –Elizabeth
Dear Michael, We didn’t have a chance to speak much while I stayed at the Sanctuary so I figured I’d leave a note of thanks. From the moment I found your place online I knew it was magic. And it exceeded my visions. Thank you for creating and maintaining such a gem on earth for people to enjoy. I wish I could stay longer but at least I can build on the feeling of returning to self during these past two days. The butterflies in the morning is a sight I shall remember for many moons to come. Great energy to you! Julie T
Dear Michael, Thank you for… Your inspiration, your positive energy, your warm smile, sharing your beautiful home, your kindness, everything of the highest good! It’s been wonderful! Can’t wait to visit again next year! And the solstice—we couldn’t have spent it in a more perfect place. -Kelsey, Karen, Kathy V and John K
Thank you, Michael, for allowing me to stay at your beautiful Sanctuary and participate in some work-trade! I hope I’m able to carry with me the calm acceptance that all is going to be okay when I drive down and back into the world of people…meeting all the people who passed through during these few days, I can see why you do this. I hope to create an open door policy when I finally settle, too. It’s beautiful to have a place where people can just be. Please pass on my thanks to May and her gentle Acceptance. Cheers, Carrieane
Dear Michael— Thank you so much for allowing us to stay within the sanctuary. It was a truly magical experience. Lindsey and I both feel we have grown in our short time here. This place will always hold a special place in my memory as I’m sure one of the pictures we took will do it justice. You are a great person for opening up this place to people you have never met and I hope this place will continue to help others as it has helped us. Thanks again, Michael, we hope to return soon. Best, Kevin & Lindsey
Aloha! Dearest Michael, I apologize that this thank you card has taken me so long to mail though my procrastinating does not at all represent the gratitude I feel for your generosity of spirit in hosting Colins and I at the sanctuary in early June. I truly appreciate the hospitality and the warmth that graciously enchanted me while I was in your home. Please accept this small gift as our showing appreciation for your kindness! P.S. you can decorate your Kanai cottage with it! Warmest Aloha. Ema & Colins
Michael, ts nice to know that there are still people who take such pleasure in doing special things and making others feel good…thank you, so much. You’re really someone special. You are amazing! I so appreciate you and your sacred space. IT has been the most amazing summer of my life being in all this beauty, love, and adventure. I’ll be back…and this will always be “home”. Love, Jay
We want to thank you guys for your hospitality. It was truly a unique and memorable experience. It seems so peaceful and magical out here. It was a great place to wake up on my birthday! I forgot where I was at first, but then I thought “Oh we’re at Frodo’s place”…Thank you again…the experience was beautiful! Love and light— Haley & Wes
Michael, Thanks so much for the warm hospitality provided by this lovely sanctuary. It’s been so pleasant staying here, Id love to stay longer. I look forward to coming back to this place and this forest, Gods country. He does such a beautiful job at painting each leaf in the forest at this time of year, doesn’t he? It’s ben a joy being with my daughter here, in a way that we haven’t been in so many years. Kathleen
Dearest Michael, Thank you for providing me with this wonderful, beautiful, sacred space. It’s been a gift and a blessing as you and the guys have been. I will keep in touch and be back at some point. Please hold my check ‘til the end of the week, I’ll get some money in the account when I am home. Take care, Be well. In love and light, Susie
Dear Michael, Thank you for your hospitality, and sharing a piece of your heaven. I got the most wonderful experience of reflection, I needed this for a long time, but never gave myself the gift. Next time you will see my husband, he needs this resting place more than I need it. Thank you for everything, Sincerely, Kinga J
Dear Michael, Thank you so much for providing this wonderful space for us to grow, learn, and renew. Our vehicle this visit was time travel. The stone circle set in motion energy and freedom we experienced as children, and throughout our stay we connected with supportive memories! Now that’s renewal! Hope the face of this card will serve as an inspiration to others that come here. Truly it typifies the experience! Thank you again! Peace from my world to yours~ Lisa S
Michael— You are truly an inspiration of someone who is living the dream and on top it all you are sharing it! It was well worth the drive I know I’ll be back. Grateful grateful grateful! It was perfect. Thank you! Peggy
Michael, I hope this card finds you well. I want to thank you for the inspiring visit to Mountain Light Sanctuary! I was enchanted by my stay in the Bali House with the sound of the creek. The property has a very special energy that made me feel uplifted and spiritually nourished. I am awed by what you have created and your vision. I look forward to visiting again soon. Many blessings, Kathy R
Michael: I cannot even put into words how grateful I am to spend time with you, with your staff, with your beautiful place. I now refer to it as “Heaven on Earth”! You have really helped me to make sense of so much in my life. Thank you! That doesn’t even do it justice, but you understand, I’m sure. “A man does not have to be an angel to be a saint” – Albert Schweitzer. Thank you for this special place in time! Blessings, Kristin P
Hello Michael, I regret not being able to tell you goodbye and thank you in person. My time there at the Sanctuary was awesome. I’ll admit that I was intimidated being truly one with nature but so very thankful that I was able to have the experience. I slept—and made friends with—three large spiders, a tiny field mouse, and a bee. At first, I thought I wouldn’t be able to go to sleep, but then came to realize that the mouse, spiders, and bee were just looking for a place to burrow down for the night and hang their proverbial hats…just like me.
I got really high on my 33rd birthday, approximately 6,100 feet when I tackled Craggy dome on Tuesday October 15th. Breathtaking view… When I got back to the Sanctuary around 2pm, I was fortunate to meet your friend, Lou, and two other guys, Nick and Michael. I had a wonderful 2-3hour conversation with them, first near the lodge and then the fire pit. I plan on keeping in touch with each of them as they, like you, had wonderful insight and stories to share. I can’t quite articulate the Sanctuary’s genuinely welcoming atmosphere. Close friends, family, and counselors are all excellent sources to share and learn from. But the Sanctuary (the people and places) gave me an inner feeling of authentic concern and peace in just two days, which therapeutic affect could not be matched in 100 counseling sessions. Your place truly is Shangri-La! Thank you, thank you, thank you Michael. Sincerely, Victor
Dear Michael and all nature spirits and elves~ So grateful for the deep space you’ve created for others to come to. It is indeed a Sanctuary. Rest, Quietude, Communion with others~ Many thanks! Blessings, Patti E.
Dear Mountain Light Sanctuary, My little sons and I had an absolutely magical visit! Please thank the elves & fairies on our behalf; we left them offerings here and there of quartz and flowers. Yours soulfully, Katie S
Thank you… Michael, for providing me with this incredible opportunity to grow in your beautiful garden. Susan, for your book recommendations and wonderful conversation. Nicole, for sharing your beautiful spirit, as well as your beautiful song. Sean and Melissa, for making everyone feel so welcomed. Fraser, for sharing your smile with me early each morning.
Michael, Thank you so much for being a caretaker of this beautiful land. This is the first place I’ve found that offers a similar sense of peace and grounding that I used to get when I visited my grandfather’s cabin in the Poconos. I can see myself visiting here time and time again. SO until next time, I wish you well. Desima
Hi Michael, Thank you so much for a lovely rainy weekend. Your kindness and hospitality are greatly appreciated. What a beautiful place! I’ve dated this check for wed 7/23, which is when I get paid this week. Thank you so very much!
Dear Michael, Thank you, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your hospitality and counsel. I needed this visit, and at first I thought it was just to get away from the noise in my head about the uncertainties of moving to a new place. But now I see it as a starting point to fill a deeper need. Your book is fantastic. You are a writer, truly. I am so intrigued by and looking forward to your online course. As a great writer yourself, I know the readings will continue to be equally thought provoking and inspiring. I leave here with a more clear mind and more open heart. Evermore, thanks Aileen
Dear Michael! Thank you for this time apart—for this heavenly space we could call home for a few days. We feel so refreshed and ready to jump back into our home lives. I am particularly grateful for our talk and your book. I left the session excited to embrace my soul curriculum. We would like to come back.
Dear Michael, Thank you thank you thank you… Thank you for sharing this slice of paradise! M.L.S. is truly one of the most special, unique and precious places I’ve ever experienced on this planet. You are an inspiration! With warm regards, Tam
Dear Michael, Thank you so much for your hospitality and kindness to us during our stay at the Sanctuary. We had such a wonderful time there and enjoyed getting to know Marco as well. We wish you all the best in the months to come. Hope to see you all soon. Love always, Colby, Susie, & Jax
Thank you so much for opening your wonderful home to us. I am beyond grateful for the time I have spent at such a magical place. I will be seeing you again. With the deepest gratitude, Maggie and CeeCee
Dearest Michael, Autumn, & Mark, I cannot thank you enough for making my stay so enjoyable and for making this one of the most memorable birthdays of my life. Each one of you has a special, unique gift that you offer to the guests, and each of you compliments the others so well. Thank you for making me feel safe, for making me feel special, and for making me feel at peace. I will definitely be back, even for a day trip, and I will definitely be telling others about this magical place. Please know that this experience has been priceless for me, and if I had the means, I would have left hundreds of dollars for even one night. Truly. Thank you. All good things, Danielle
Dear Michael, Emails are so informal. After figuring out last night just how “old school” you are I thought a hand written note would be more appropriate. I am so grateful for the gifts you have given me which are beyond explanation and grow in number every day. I hope you know my appreciation. The thing I wanted to tell you most though was the greatest compliment you ever gave me. It was when you said that you and I must have been siblings in another life. I felt so honored and comforted by that. When someone is “Lord of the manor” it comes with a lot of expectations and responsibilities. However, when someone is a sibling or just “part of the pack” it comes with comfort and camaraderie along with the ability to just be yourself. Thank you so much for being a part of my pack. Thank you for giving me the gift to see all the different sides of you. Thank you for trusting me. Have a wonderful holiday, Amy
How lucky I am to have found your place. Thank you so much for your welcome, for your kindness and your generosity. We don’t meet people like you every day. The same for this retreat that you created .I have had this feeling of peace and love only once before, in a meditation center in Ireland. That’s it. It’s rare to find a place with such a good atmosphere. Be sure that I will come back. I’m sure that you will have other books to collect. And thank you for this work book, The Law of Attraction. I’m on the assignment 4, but I’ll finish it, sure! It’s so clear and concrete, that I already see the effects. Hope you will like this painting, and see it as a proof of my gratefulness. All the best! U. Sanvos
My son Josh and I have been staying at the Sanctuary for 3 months now. We arrived as summer was winding down. Sleeping here in the embrace of the trees, watching the sun set over the mountains, waiting for the moon to rise. It has been entirely magical. I have travelled around the world but there is something special about this ancient mountain cove. This place feels enchanted. Especially the stone circle. Inside that holy circle, heaven meets Earth. I am eternally grateful to Michael for being such a wonderful steward of this land. He has preserved the magic for generations to come. Me and my grandchildren offer up our gratitude to Michael and all the fairy folk. Love, Sequoyah and Jack
Dear Michael, Thank you for an incredible time, writing in the natural world. Each day, every night, brought a gift…and I am thankful to have entered this sanctuary—which you have imagined and brought into form. How fortunate we all are, to have you share with us this place of peace. I hope to return. Blessing to you, Mountain Light… Theresa H
Dear Michael, Thanks again for letting us stay at the Sanctuary. It was as good as ever and Kimi absolutely loved it. The little porch jam session on the last night was incredible, so much fun. When we left the Sanctuary, we headed west and had some remarkable journeying. It was my first time in the Rocky Mountains and beyond. I fell in love with those strange haggard trees that grow in the really dry areas of Colorado like the Colorado National Monument. We went to Arches National Park in Moab, UT, and got lost on a hike in the canyons. As it got dark, we met two German guys who spoke English…who were also lost. So together, we held hands in a line and scaled the canyons in pitch black until the night sky, illuminated by the milky way, provided enough light to see where we were putting our feet. It turned out to be one of the best experiences of the trip. After that, we headed to to Mt. Rainier National Park and went on a little backpacking trip where we found this secluded little lake. Incredible. We camped right next to it and chipmunks and birds were coming right up to us in curiosity. At night, while Kimi soundly slept, a Grizzly walked right up to the tent and circled it, doing that loud exhale thing that only Grizzlies do. I sat there petrified with only a hatchet as a weapon. Thank God, it left us alone after one circle. I did not sleep too well that night… After that, we spent a month on the Oregon and California coast where I asked Kimi to marry me (in Stinson Beach, CA) and she said yes! We are going to get married in a treehouse. Before all that, we backpacked in the Tall Trees Grove in Redwoods National Park. Kimi built this fort entrance to the tent and we camped in a river bed. The Redwoods are really, really, really big. And now, we are home safe! It is now the strange transition between complete freedom—and—trying to find a career. But it was an absolutely wonderful journey and the Sanctuary was the perfect beginning. Kimi and I will be back as often as possible.Sincerely, Aaron.
P.S. Say hi to Jay for me, and tell her I’ve taken a new interest in the Tao Te Ching.
Dear Michael, Thank you so very much for inviting us into your most amazing home & palace! It is sooo beautiful here! You are so generous and I am so happy I got to come into your magical kingdom. I am looking forward very much to come back soon! Thank you! Jaeda A
Dear Michael, Thank you so much for everything! I feel so cleansed and refreshed and ready to return to the real world with renewed purpose. I truly appreciate your generosity in sharing this wonderful place. Mountain Light Sanctuary is truly a blessing, and I can’t wait to return in August. Peace, Wes
Thanks for everything. It’s so heartwarming and refreshing to see a “venture” like this built on trust, respect, and community, rather than a $ sign. All the best, Alex
Whispered words exchanged among the fallen leaves, begging the fairies to dance among the ancient trees. Casting their magic on the sacred ground, waiting for their secrets to be found. The elves awoke to the heat of the night and magnetically moved to the fireside light. Each sharing wisdom of past lives told, learning both from the young and the old. All the while, the gnomes moved to the drum. Singing along, with a quiet hum. This movement was bold and new, a burst of inspiration out of the blue. The splash of color, red, yellow, orange, and green. Vivid and hypnotic, there to enjoy and be seen. A spiritual energy saturates the sight. This sacred space we call: Mountain moonlight.
Michael, Thank you so much for offering up your sacred space to Tyler/Autumn and me. Mountain Light provided a much needed respite and place of mindfulness for us both. We are truly grateful for all that is here, and all that you are. Many blessings, Hope
Michael, This space is absolutely breathtaking. As soon as I stepped onto the property I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and the need for silence. Thank you eternally for creating sacred land for people to come and truly connect. I cannot wait to come again! Love + Light, Sam & Olive
Dear Michael, These past 10 days at the Sanctuary have been life changing for me. I only meant to stay for a few days, but in mountain time I guess that means something different. Thank you so much for your hospitality, warmth, and for this sanctuary. Unfortunately, I have to leave on emergency back to Texas. My sister will be here to stop by with my donation, because I lost my wallet when I arrived to Wilmington. She has my new debit card, so I will hand her my donation when she comes to stay here. Thank you again for your hospitality and may the archangel Michael bless you. Happy trails, Mark Z
Michael, Thank you so much for this time to meditate, recharge, and refocus at the Sanctuary. I’ve so much enjoyed my time here. Thank you for allowing me to do work trade. It really was invigorating to get back to my earth roots and enjoy life at its best. This place is so magical. Thank you for keeping it alive! – Kristin
Dear Michael, Thank you for an incredible two days at the Sanctuary. I took a whole new, shifted perspective back with me and have been nurturing it along. Enclosed, find a book I borrowed from your lovely little library. I got really engrossed and couldn’t bear not to finish it; I hope you don’t mind my kidnapping it for the past week! Also, a spoon that I borrowed to eat a yogurt on the last day’s hike I did to the cavern with Jill & Martha. I forgot it was in my bag and found it at home. I’m going to try to return to the Sanctuary before I leave Asheville/the area. I’m feeling drawn to trying the Tree House, but oh—my heart remains in the Gypsy Wagon! You certainly have a special place out there. I wish you all well and hope to see you again soon. Give my best to Will! Aloha, Gillian
Thank you for the gift of sharing. This experience has changed my life and purpose and has been one that I will never forget. Claude
Michael, Thank you as always for your kindness and generosity. This sanctuary has become an important place for me, to help me achieve better balance and perspective. And since my work and life are very fast-paced, I need to slow down like this as often as possible. I will be back soon! Till then, Will
Dear Michael, Thank you for sharing your wonderful sanctuary. Even with continuous rains the first day the magic and beauty of this place is evident as a first time visitor. I hope to return soon and enjoy the mysteries and beauty of another season! Love & Blessings, Mary W
Michael, Our stay was really wonderful. This place is truly amazing. I love it so much here. Thank you for having us. I feel very blessed for having this experience. Deana T asked me to send you her love. I will definitely be visiting again. Much love, Lisa G
Michael, Such a warmth I am taking from my time here! So many fantastic experiences happening moment to moment! I’m guessing you’ve heard a thousand times how magical the sanctuary is, well let me make a thousand and one! This place is magical in the beg bestest possible way! Thank you so much for sharing with us. I am renewed in my spirit, body, and mind. And I’ve only been here two nights! My heart is full! Gaien L
Michael, Thank you so much for creating such a magical place that is accessible even to the poor college students! This 3-day retreat has helped me learn about myself, nature, and my bigger purpose. I will certainly be back and I will spread the word. Thank you! Love, Jaymie
This is a safe, loving, and heart opening space. Thank you and deep gratitude for your journey of conscious creation. Love love love. Ryan S
Michael, Thank you for a most magical journey. Everything was perfect, I feel reborn, free, and clear of anything that was holding me back to living life to the fullest. I am looking forward to remaining present for all the gifts life has in store. You are amazing. -Heather
Michael, Thank you for welcoming us into your home over the past days. We are so grateful to be able to return to such a beautiful and magical place. The Mountain Light is such a special place to us both and we hope our work here positively contributes to making others’ experiences equally as memorable. Great thanks to you for your kindness and hospitality. Hope to see you again soon. With love, Evan & Rose
Dear Michael + Co., Thank you for creating this magical domain! It was an ideal place for a retreat. Like this stream flowing by, there’s such an organic flowing accommodation and all your guests, from families to earnest young seekers, adventurers, and even solitary old ladies like me! Bali House was a great home—so private and quiet with the “white noise” of the stream…a little dark on these rainy days—I had to use my headlamp to read—I look forward to a return and will tell others! Gratefully, Debby G
Dear Michael, Thank you for your beautiful retreat. It was as magical as I remembered. I stayed here 7 years ago. I just realized I was there during the weekend of the crystal ceremony. I loved chanting in the Divine Feminine area every morning, and exploring the creek and trails. I was looking over old emails, and there was the “Hogwarts app” email where I mentioned wanting to create a natural music project. It is now much larger—The Natural Music Institute. You can check it out at www.naturalmusicinstitute.com. The first project is in Louisiana, but the second project is going to be in this area. I would love to talk to you more about that sometime. It is a collaboration between musicians and ecologists, listening to different ecosystems. Thanks again for the inspiration and beauty. Blessings, Shay
Dear Michael, Thank you. This space, this time, has been so good for my soul. You have tapped into, and are fostering, the essence of something special out here. Thank you for sharing. I’m already looking forward to the next opportunity to return. Many Blessings, Forest.
Dear Michael and the Mountain Light Sanctuary Family, Staying here has been a truly remarkable experience. When I first arrived, I was just enchanted by the little lights along the paths! I feel like I’m living in a fairytale—the treehouse is so charming! Michael—your warmth and kindness made me feel so welcome and at home. And Mark, Daniel, and Cole’s music around the fireside warmed my soul! Thank you for such an amazing experience and for creating such a whimsical place. I can feel the love that has gone into creating it. I’ll certainly be back someday. With Love, Taylor
Michael, Such a beautiful, magical world you’ve built here. Creation, community, peace, and love, are abundant in this world. It was a privilege ad a pleasure to spend a few days here, and I will definitely return soon. Much love and gratitude, J. Sage
Michael and Crew, Thank you for your welcoming hospitality. We appreciate the warmth and the kindness you infuse into the space here. We have had an incredibly nourishing time here and loved staying in Amitaba. Thank you for your flexibility and for taking care of us. A magical land indeed! Many blessings to you all. Jess & Michelle (The Eco-Institute)
Michael, Thank you so much for your hospitality and the work you put into creating Mountain Light Sanctuary. I loved being here and with the surroundings, Cole, Mark, Dan + Carey (hopefully I got their names right) helped make the entire experience magical. Thanks again! In peace, Gail
Thank you Kole, Daniel, & Marc for your lovely hospitality. For introducing Alex and I to North Carolina in this magical way. Mountain Light Sanctuary is super spectacular, and we hope to return when the weather is warmer! Many thanks to Michael for dreaming and creating this fairyland. Welcoming us with open arms. Thank you—wishing you warmth, joy, and love throughout winter and this holiday season. S&A
Michael, Kole, Daniel, Marc, Carrie, Beau— My time at the sanctuary has been the serene and rejuvenating transition I’d hoped it would be, from a time of mourning to one of hopeful exploring. Thank you for your music and your quiet and as Carrie says, your “story, strength, and hope”. You’ve all opened my heart bigger, just by being who you are: people who are different from most everyone I’ve ever known. I didn’t appreciate how sheltered my northeastern life has been until through talking with you all. I saw myself put faces to stereotypes I’d internalized and watched my biases fall away. I feel like I was given permission to be myself in a profound way here. Michael, your gratitude attitude is infectious in the best way. The calm and care you model sets a tone for the sanctuary and affects everyond around. Thank you for being you. I don’t know yet where the adventure will take me post-Israel, but I have a feeling I’ll be back. Blessings on your journeys! Much love and panda hugs, Shaina A
Dear residents of Mountain Light, Thank you for a wonderful stay! This place certainly has something special. Michael—I’m sorry you weren’t here during my stay, what you’ve built is lovely, I’m glad I had the chance to experience it. Mark—best of luck with the Neuropathy, again try “horse chestnut” to improve circulation. Signing with you was wonderful, thank you for being so encouraging, welcoming, and I would almost go as far to say loving to this total stranger. I felt totally at home inside Elf Haven. May your new year be bright. Cole—thank you for taking care of everything during my stay. If you couldn’t tell. I was nervous when I arrived. Just meeting you put me at ease. Our brief chats encouraged me to keep seeking clarity. Daniel—it was fantastic meeting you as well, listening to your music, and learning about your origins. It helped me put things in better perspective. Thank you for letting me stay in this lovely place, and it truly is lovely. I wish all of you all the best in the new year and hope to find a way to come back soon.
Hi Michael, Perhaps you don’t remember me but I will never forget the most amazing and enlightening time I had when I visited the Sanctuary 3 years, merely weeks after my father (my best friend) past away. His passing had left me in a world wind of confusion and agony. I felt completely alone and physically and mentally disconnected from the world around me. In a moment or desperation I went onto the internet to find answers or a solution to the horrific and agonizing pain I was living with. I honestly don’t remember what I wrote on the search bar but I clearly remember clicking onto your website. I called you the same day to perhaps make reservations and as we spoke I immediately started to feel a sense of tranquility and hope come over me. I flew in a week later and when you picked me up at the airport your evident kindness and warm heart showered me with optimism . The arrival at the sanctuary was strikingly magical and when I couldn’t imagine anything better I met Sheila, Susan and other of your guests who without even knowing my name welcomed and embraced me with what was so obviously unconditional love that it was palpable. You must be wondering why I’m writing now after so many years, well its because I did not know then the impact and life changing effects the Sanctuary would bring me. In retrospect, I dare say that visit probably saved me from myself. Now as time has past, life has happened and things have changed, some for better others not too much so, Nevertheless, I wanted you to know that the experiences I had and felt at the Sanctuary have played a very important role in how I have handle life since then. I believe you probably do remember Sheila, well her and I have kept close contact since then. She has been such a great friend and always there for me when I have needed guidance. She suggested we go visit you and the Sanctuary to which I totally agreed. I believe this is a great time to revisit the Sanctuary and re immerse myself in all the Sanctuary has to offer. We want to know if the Hermitage is available on Monday September 11 for three nights. I agreed to stay outdoors but only if it in the Heritage, it would be her and I and her very small doggie. I won’t need a ride from the airport this time because Sheila lives in Clemmons and I’ll be flying into Greensboro (GSO). Also, please let me know what is the donation for three nights in the Hermitage. Please let me know as soon as possible so that I can make the plane reservations. Looking forward to see you again soon, Mayra
Comments posted on Trip Advisor as of May 2017
“A beautiful and friendly place, short distance to Asheville”
What a slice of heaven, just outside Asheville. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Treehouse and loved it! The accommodations were just as expected, private, cozy and rustic. It was great to sleep with the sound of the river and wake up to it too. We are a gay couple and felt very at ease here. I highly recommend it! Woody P
After a very difficult year, I knew that the time had come to get away from it all and reflect on the state of my life. I came upon Mountain Light Sanctuary early in my research and knew that this is exactly what my soul so desperately needed. The second I stepped out of my car, I felt as if I had entered a dream. My experience at Mountain Light was truly transformative. I decided to stay in the Garden Suite-a lovely canopy bed on a porch overlooking the Japanese Gardens. Every night I was lulled to sleep by the soothing sounds of the creek and wind chimes and awoke to the sound of roosters. The property is truly magical, and you couldn’t go wrong with whatever shelter or room you choose to stay in! Michael was such a gracious host, and the people I met along the way were so lovely. There is a hush and respect about the place because everyone is there for similar intentions. I spent most of my time sitting amongst the creek, swinging in the hammock, and hiking the trails that are literally steps away from the Sanctuary. I have already decided that I will be coming back at least twice a year. If you are looking for a place to unwind, reflect, or commune with nature, there is no better place than Mountain Light! Caitlin B, Centreville, Virginia
“Serene, Magical and Beautiful”
When you walk through the front gate something magical happens! All the hustle and bustle fade away. You feel something magical happening inside. This is a place to bring you back to your inner self. A place that reminds you what is truly important. Michael is beyond gracious. The hiking is energizing and mind opening. The sound of the stream lulls you to sleep. I have been going to Mountain Light for the past five years. I do my best to stay at least twice a year. Planning on spending my birthday in September in “Frodo’s”. Frodo’s is right by the stream. And to top it off I’m taking my sweet dog “FRODO”! Can’t wait to return! I have stayed there in the fall and in the spring. Autumn is incredible but then, so is spring. Stayed May 2013, traveled solo. DebbyTT Gainesville, Florida
“Beautiful, magical, Tranquil!”
We have stayed at Mountain Light Sanctuary twice now & plan to return every year. Yes, it’s rustic, but that’s what we come for. We stay in the Wisteria Room in the lodge & often wake up to hummingbirds flitting around the open wall in the room. The community kitchen is fun & I always come away with a new recipe or two from other guests. We meet fascinating people from all over that we would never have the opportunity to meet in our daily lives. ML offers whatever you want, personal guidance, interesting community, privacy, or solitude & silent retreat if you like. And it’s situated in what has to be one of the most beautiful mountain settings I have ever seen. Beauty & magic in every direction! C Steckel, Chillicothe, OH
“This Place is Magical!”
I have had the good fortune of visiting to little piece of paradise a number of times. All I can say is, if you want to have an extraordinary experience in nature, this is the place. The accommodations are rustic, the scenery is remarkable, the host is the best. I can’t say enough… Just go and see for yourself. JD Lewis, One Happy Family 12in12, Charlotte, North Carolina
I came to the Sanctuary originally for the minimum of two nights and ended up staying for about two weeks and helping out doing work trade for Michael, the owner. This is a place to really calm down from the hustle that life can turn into and appreciate nature and the simple things that matter. I met some of the most wonderful people during my stay, learned a lot and made new friends. I brought my dog and it was a great place for the both of us to explore on the trails. I highly recommend visiting, I love it! Melissa R, Warren, Ohio
“A Place To Slow Down & Reconnect”
I went to Mountain Light Sanctuary in August 2015 because the men’s group that I belong to (Mankind Project) sponsored a 3 day retreat. I have always loved being in the mountains and I was so overjoyed when I had the opportunity to be smack dab in the mountains on the retreat. I was originally supposed to stay in one of the Banana Patch huts but plans changed and I wound up staying in a shelter called Enchantment directly on the stream. I slept like a baby with the sound of the stream as well as the gentle rain falling on the roof. The entire Mountain Light Sanctuary is such a special place where you can feel the positive energies all around. Just walking on the property, there are many special spots where you can loose yourself in thought by just enjoying what is there, from the butterfly garden to the stone circle with gong. We were fortunate enough to get directions so that we could hike first to the Cavern and then to the Elf Pools where we skinny dipped. As hot as the day was in August, the water coming down the waterfalls and pond was very brisk. Knowing how cold the water was a true test of courage that separated the men from the boys. ha! ha! The Mountain Light Sanctuary is a beautiful, spiritual place that should be experienced by those with open minds. Steven C Harrisburg, North Carolina, United States.
“Perfect little magical place for a Personal Retreat”
I can’t begin to tell you what a divine encounter I had with the Mountain Light Sanctuary. I was in desperate need of a personal retreat to seek some guidance about what was next for my life. I just did a google search for “retreat centers in Asheville” and Mountain Light was one of the first to pop up. Michael later told me that they do nothing to really advertise, so I knew it was divine intervention that it was one of the first places I looked into. No matter what other places I looked at or researched, I kept coming back to their website. Because I’m not one to rough it, I chose to stay in one of the bedrooms inside the main lodge. It was small and quaint and just what I needed. There is a small communal bathroom inside that other guests use, so you have to be ok with not having your own private bathroom. The beauty of the grounds and the energy and spirit of this place is magical. It was a time for me to “be” vs. “do” and even though there were other guests (it was one of the busiest weekends they’d had when I arrived), I still felt like I had plenty of space for quiet reflection and stillness. And the best part was just getting to do some front porch “Guidance” time with Michael. He is such a wise soul – much like a Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. Suffice it to say, he reminded me and encouraged me regarding manifesting your dreams and writing out what you want to see happen in your life. I was able to take some of his advice and I am now about to head off to an adventure of a lifetime. I am so thankful for my time at Mountain Light. It truly is a place where you can rest, reflect, find peace, BE, manifest your heart’s desire. I am so thankful for my time there and will probably look back someday and realize that was the watershed moment where my life really began to change! Stayed September 2015, traveled solo Christ F Nashville, Tennessee
“A Slice of Heaven on Earth”
This was my 3rd visit to Mountain Light Sanctuary (but 1st review) and the name pretty much says it all. A true place to get away from it all, relax, refresh, renew your mind. body and spirit. The grounds are so lovely- and all naturally done. You have multiple natural gardens, including Zen Garden, the butterfly garden, the Divine Feminine Grotto, the Bamboo grove, the creek, mini waterfalls, hiking trails, hammocks, rockers, swings, and on and on. But be warned- rustic and natural is the whole idea, throughout. No TV, no AC- but its cooler here than in the city. Cells usually don’t work here (although internet is available) Come and be prepared to share bathrooms, and clean up after yourself. Great value for the Mountains and close to Asheville and you can cook your own meals. So really economical. Of course if you have to have contact with the rest of the world- grocery and other shopping is 15 to 30 minutes away- and Asheville with lots to do and see is only 20-30 minutes. You will find peace here, and can be as social, or not as you care to be. Very eclectic shelters ( see the accommodations descriptions) and cozy rooms in the Lodge. But all in all so worth it – I always hate to leave….Jacqueline C – Knowxville. TN
“Something shifted inside me; I am not the same as I was before.”
I had the incredible good fortune to see my original house-sitting plans fall through, and through the Universe’s magic, I wound up here. I will endeavor to describe Mountain Light Sanctuary, but the thing that makes it the most special is something you can only feel once you are here. There is a peace and serenity to this place, a vibration I’ve felt nowhere else. I’ve heard it said the veil is thin here, and I believe it. I’ve been to some beautiful retreat centers, some of which boast gourmet meals, hot springs, and saunas and will leave you as relaxed as a pool of mud, but not a one has what this place has. After my initial visit, I was determined to return before leaving the area and going home to Hawaii. In my two short visits, something shifted inside me that can’t be forced– only invited, nurtured, and allowed.
Most of the time, there is nothing visibly going on at Mountain Light. Your experience is fully your own. I passed hours gently swinging in the hammock chair on the front porch, watching the blue butterflies flit from flower to flower or congregate to drink morning dew from the grass; meditating on large, mossy boulders in the stream; reading metaphysical books in the cozy library; and watching the hummingbirds zoom between feeders in the gazebo. Recounting those days now, I can feel the wash of calm that overtook me, cleansing away worries and banishing fear. I can feel how I slipped into a new vibration in sync with the universe. I should warn you, as you’ve probably already figured out, this place is not for everyone. The only thing more rustic is tent camping. If you are staying in the outdoor shelters you bring your own bedding, and in most of the accommodations, you are essentially sleeping outdoors in covered, three-walled huts with no plumbing. The huts are beautifully constructed from natural materials like stone, wood and bamboo, often with stained glass windows (Frodo’s even has a fireplace and crystals in the walls!), and they harmonize with the landscape, but they are not hotel rooms. It’s dark at night–pitch black. Unless you are in the lodge or one of the outdoor units with electricity, you read by solar lights; you wash in a spring-fed, gravity-powered shower; bring your own food and cook for yourself–albeit in a VERY well-equipped indoor & outdoor kitchen with a system for storing and identifying your food–and clean up after yourself. If you need to have people cleaning up after you or washing your sheets, if you’re freaked out by sprinkling a cup of leaves onto your poop in the composting toilet, or if you need a restaurant or bar anywhere nearby, this is not the place for you. Similarly, no drugs are allowed here, so leave the ganja at home, if that’s your thing. But if you love the idea of being deep in the beautiful, cool shade of a national forest, where you can be left alone in silence if that’s what you want; meet spiritual seekers who bring the highest vibration of growth and healing; hike up a hillside and skinny dip in a cold stream and clamber up rocks from one pool to another with no one around to notice your nakedness; fall asleep to the sound of a burbling stream and legions of crickets, tree frogs, and cicadas; watch bunnies hop around chewing on grass a foot away; or lie in a hammock reading all day, then this is your happy place. I came back from Mountain Light Sanctuary calm and fearless, ready to be a full participant in my life again. I truly hope one day to return, because there is no place like Mountain Light. G_c_A_12 Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
“Can not wait for my next visit!!”
I had the best experience at Mountain Light Sanctuary. I stayed for two nights in the Garden Suite. It was a surreal experience. The peace and tranquility is unimaginable. Everyone I encountered was beyond pleasant and unassuming. I went for a personal retreat and was quite pleased. I can not say enough positive things about my experience. With no TV and limited cell service you are forced to unwind and entertain yourself in ways you had forgotten how to do. I am planning a return trip in September and am trying to convince my daughters to join me in order to experience a different reality from Facebook, iPhones, and electricity. Stayed July 2015, traveled solo Julie L L
Over the past decade I have had the pleasure of staying three times at Mountain Light Sanctuary. I don’t think its quite possible to convey the sense of tranquil nurturing the land pours into your being or the varied taste of combined Earthly/Cosmic energies that feed ones senses but it is close to magical. With loving pride and inventive ideas, Michael, the caretaker has developed the land enough to offer varied comfortable accommodation to suit many tastes, yet blends with mutual respect with its environment. A great place to chill and/or hike the surrounding trails and ultimately to just be at one with nature. Stayed August 2014, traveled solo Daisy, Nottingham, England
“A place to enjoy your peace!”
Being in at the Mountain Light Sanctuary reconciled me with the USA. Up to that moment, the USA for me represented highways, buildings, concrete, noise. But then I went to the Sanctuary, and just driving there was a beauty, going through the North Carolina mountain countryside. A true blessing. Just close enough to hippy Asheville, to enjoy good food and art, but secluded enough to be in peace and communion with Nature. Michael has built this sanctuary step by step, a little piece by piece, very eco-conscious. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to be there!!! Eli T. Caracas, Venezuela
“A Truly Amazing Experience”
I stayed at the sanctuary in July and absolutely loved it. The sound of the creek and birds chirping was so relaxing, as was the fact that there was no cell phone reception. I could sit quietly in the Tree House or hike the breathtakingly beautiful trails in the Pisgah National Forest without any interruption or urges to “plug in.” The WiFi however, was very dependable and easily accessible. Michael is wonderful, the sanctuary is absolutely refreshing, the National Forest is amazing, and the overall experience was relaxing and truly magical. I have recommended it to friends and will continue to do so. Kate S Jacksonville, Florida
This was my first trip to Mountain Light Sanctuary and I will definitely be back! As soon as I arrived Michael was there to greet me and I immediately felt at home. The grounds are beautiful and very peaceful. I made reservations to stay in the Ononaluftee but when I arrived Michael said I could pick from several shelters that were available. I chose Frodos and it was FANTASTIC! I went on a couple of different hikes and it was beautiful. I cannot wait to return… Andy, Houston, Texas
“Home away from home!”
Our group of 5 women went to Mountain Light back in 1998. We have returned every year for the past 16 years. We fell in love with Michael, the host, and the energies surrounding and permeating the Sanctuary. It is truly our home away from home! You owe it to yourself to come check it out. Yes, it is rustic but that is part of the charm and beauty of it all. Such interesting people can be met there and perhaps, just perhaps, we will get to meet some day! Rose C. Cincinnati, Ohio U.S.A.
The Sanctuary was a perfect getaway for me. It’s tucked in the middle of the Pisgah forest with lots of hiking trails within walking or short driving distance. It’s also very close to Asheville. I went for one week and could have stayed a month. This is the perfect place to reconnect with nature and your spiritual self, in a comfortable environment–and it’s affordable. Lots of great company, too, or you can hide out or wear a silent tag if you want to be alone. I can’t wait to go back. Progressiveky Frankfort, Kentucky
“Must stay longer than one night!!”
After driving through a torrential storm from Greensboro, this was definitely my Sanctuary. I couldn’t wait to set up the treehouse and relax for the evening. I loved the creek below, and went exploring for a bit before it got too dark. I couldn’t get enough! The grounds are well cared for, as well as the accommodations. Unfortunately, I packed improperly and didn’t have gear for chilly evenings. Bring a light blanket, pants and sweatshirt, even in the summer months. Also, make sure to bring bright flashlight. Michael is super friendly and helpful. I was not able to have a front porch session with him, but will make time for one on my next visit. Everyone I met during my stay were so welcoming and friendly. What a tranquil, peaceful place! I’m telling everyone I know about this place… There was a group coming in for the weekend, so my stay was way too short! I want to stay in Frodo’s house next time 😉 Stayed June 2013, traveled solo Ejkiuyhg, Chicago, Illinois
“The most magical place on Earth”
Mountain Light truly is a shining light in the darkness. Upon entering the property via a winding path through the peaceful bamboo forest, you step into a wonderland of relaxation, restfulness and oneness with nature. Spend your days hiking to some of the most amazing views in the Pisgah National Forest, relaxing in a hammock or simply reading in a cozy spot in the gardens. Accommodations are rustic: some have no electricity. But rest assured you won’t miss it. The lodge is nearby for cooking and charging electronic devices (or warming up with the wood stove on a chilly night). The lodge and surrounding porches has Wifi access as well. Michael is very welcoming and immediately made me feel right at home. I highly recommend making time to enjoy a ‘front porch session’ with him. Whether you are coping with stressful life situations or simply want some advice on the next bit of your journey, Michael is understanding and offers a clear path forward. Staying at the Sanctuary for only a few days left me feeling rejuvenated and healed in ways I never thought possible. The only thing I would change is to make my stay longer next time! Stayed May 2013, traveled solo Renee S Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Beautiful & Serene”
Mountain Light Sanctuary is truly a gem in the rough! The atmosphere is simply serene. The owner (and everyone I met) was super friendly and helpful. Hiking trails and a waterfall are within walking distance. Views are amazing. And the local farm, organic breakfast was a delicious treat. There’s limited cell service which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I really enjoyed the rustic lodging and a chance to remove myself from constant EMF exposure. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for a personal retreat, yoga, meditation, silent retreat or just a chance to escape and connect with nature. I’m so glad to have found this quiet haven and plan to return for each trip to come! Stephanie H, Raleigh, North Carolina
“Experience Life As Originally Intended”
After driving for 2 days from Colorado with my two dogs to spend time at the Mountain Light Sanctuary, I was more than aptly rewarded. The beauty and energy of the Sanctuary is beyond words. It’s like stepping into another world, one that is gentle, organic and free of adversity. During our 22-day stay, the “Tree House” was our home. It was absolutely perfect overlooking the stream and the ancient Pisgah National Forest. I brought my own bedding and other necessities and was quite comfortable. The lodge is rustic, homey and warm with a fully equipped kitchen, café area and a library to die for! The gardens are breathtaking with details sewn in that create a feeling of magic and wonder. Michael is a gift to this planet holding Her energy in the highest manner possible. Knowing my trip was a life transformational one, I felt much more comfortable having Michael there to assist me in working through issues that may arise. My hypnotherapy session with Michael was powerful and removed anxiety I was having regarding a situation I was going into after my stay there. Happily, the transition went smoothly 🙂 The Mountain Light Sanctuary is a magical, healing place. Any time spent there will benefit one’s soul, mind and body. Many thanks and much love Michael!!! Janet M. Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
“Better than Expected”
I’m from Chicago and my trip to Mountain Light Sanctuary was spur of the moment. Even though I was there in April and the plants weren’t in bloom yet, it was still beautiful. Being a city girl in the middle of the mountains alone was very scary for me. From the moment I stepped on property and met Michael, I felt as though I belonged there. No more fears or apprehensions. I stayed down by the river which was amazing. It was loud but I found it very relaxing. Michael made a fire for us every night and was always there to talk to (highly recommend by the way). He is a very kind soul with a world of wisdom. I spent most of the 4 days I was there either reading on the property or exploring some of the amazing nearby trails with more waterfalls than I’ve ever seen. I still think about my adventure there and plan to return again sometime in the future. If your looking for a place to regroup and/or get guidance or to just disappear from the world, I definitely recommend here. Angel C
Mountain Light Sanctuary is situated on the edge of the Pisgah forest and provides great opportunities for hiking and exploring the mountains. There are an amazing array of wildflowers on and around the property. Accommodations are rustic, no luxuries here, but if you are okay with that it is a wonderful place to spend some time. Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends SophiesMom55 Asheville, NC
Additional Comments Added September 2018
* Dear MLS, I want to thank you for letting us stay at your wonderful hostel and I can say there is nowhere else like this. My group and I had a very peaceful and relaxing stay in Bali house. Definitely most interesting and relaxing hostel I’ve ever been in. -Nat
* Dear Michael, Thank you so much! My time here in solitude was lovely. I would love to come back for a night or two more regularly. I hope this offering is a blessing and I will encourage more local friends (and beyond!) to come visit and give – Marion H
* Thank you for creating such a special place. We will definitely visit again. Robert and Abigail Hart
* I feel SO blessed to have found this magical place. Thank you! I felt right at home here with all of you. I’ll be back! A lot! – Lera
* Michael, We appreciated so much our time with you today. Thank you for sharing your heart and home with us. You are a true mentor and friend- a quiet, humble presence and a keeper of ancient wisdom. We feel blessed to know you and this land. Gratitude to Mark, Daniel, Cole and Jack for their warm and endearing company. Be well! – J &M
* Thank you, just thank you! I came here on the first anniversary of losing my boyfriend/life partner in an accident. Being here brought me so much peace and happiness. I felt safe as a single woman hiking alone. I’m definitely planning on coming back and getting a break from Chicago city life. Best wishes! Laura B.
* Michael, Thank you for your time yesterday. It was healing and empowering to spend that time with you. Thank you for opening this treasure of a land to be experienced by all those willing. Your words resonate and I look forward to experiencing them and living them myself. I do not know where I am headed in this life, nor by what path I will take, but I will hold this land in my heart and your offer for a work-trade arrangement in my realm of possibility. Thank you for all that you do. Sincerely, Calvin
* Michael & crew, Thanks so much for creating and sharing this special place. It is absolutely beautiful! Love and peace from Arkansas. Shae
* Dear Staff, Thank you for all the work you do here at Mountain Light. Your dedication shows in your hospitality, housekeeping, maintenance and new projects. You guys let your creativity shine and it’s wonderful. Crafting of this treehouse, handmade signs, new shower, landscaping etc . .Thank you so much for being part of Mountain Light, so that people can come relax, discover, and re-energize. – Megan M
* Thank you for such an incredible place- this space is truly magical. A year ago today, the Pulse shooting happened just a couple miles from where all my loved ones are. And on this one-year anniversary, this place brought peace, reflection and healing powers. Thank you again for providing this place. The healing energy is palpable. Warmly, McKenzi & Juliana
* I can’t express in words how much I will miss this place and how magically it has changed my life forever. I thank Michael for being an inspiration to me and carry for always providing such wonderful nourishment and Mark for his free spirit to fill my heart with joy and I know I was lead here and tears flow to leave . . . I even meet my teacher things just fell in place like a dream in heaven. I just pray everyone who comes here can find what they need as well. – Gloria
* I say that it was by chance that I came across this space, but in retrospect I know that it was meant to be, as this is exactly where I needed to be at this moment, and surely in moments to come. They say “There’s something in the water”. And in this creek, as well as the land surrounding, I know that “something” to be magic. Healing, soothing, beautiful and natural magic. Thank you, Michael, for opening this space and energy to all who may receive it. Blessed Be – Bri A
* Had a wonderful amazing experience. Will return in the future to provide more positive energies. David
* Michael, Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom and your lovely space! B & L
* Micahel, I have been searching for a place like this for a while. Your sanctuary allowed me to let my guard down and take off my protective shell. I have not been able to do that in a very long time. When one has to wear a shell and keep their guard up day after day that one becomes weary very fast. I was able to re-group, enjoy a bit of me time. I even was able to soak in the creek to feel refreshed and cleansed. The nature, outdoor porch area, creek and hearing of people talking and doing brought back some positive memories for me. Something that I needed most at this point in my journey. I’m already looking forward to my next visit. I truly believe Mountain Light will become my home away from home. From someone who has faced a long road that was manipulated, thank you for Mountain Light. It will definitely be part of my new journey forged by me. – Megan M.
* Thank you for your creation in nature that provides a calm, slow moving, healing environment. I came here again to reflect and gain insight and to heal physically. I can simply be and have no demands put upon me. Loka Samasta Sukino Bavantu – Juli 2017
* Micael & Crew The magic is real and the wander is lustful, The spirits did play and the humans were trustful. The water, the dirt, the stones and the air, All worked together to remove every care. The children traveled for so far and so long, They plated and had fun and banged on the gong. Connecting with nature, in forest and sun, Can’t wait to return for affection and fun. Gratitude, Peace, and Love from our hearts to yours. Scott (Sunfoot), Dani (Starchild), Jacklyn
* 7/3/17 – Just a 40 min. drive! As a first-timer, here, who lives in Asheville, and a perfect get away from the bustle of daily life. The immersions at the Elf pools were body and consciousness awakenings after a long deep sleep. The love and care of your residents and Michael et al make this a beautiful easy place to be (and affordable). I look forward to coming back in other seasons and sharing the visit by bringing a friend or two. Thanks many times over. Jody F.
* Michael, The magic of this place is outstanding. I enjoyed it to the max. You and your staff are very special people. Thanks for all you do! Jan M.
* Michael & friends, Thank you for all you do to make this place a magical wonderland for people (fairies) like us J. I am so grateful to have found this home away from home and look forward to many future adventures here. Bless you ALL. Terri B
* 7-22-18 – Thank you for creating heaven on earth! Bless you for sharing it with my children and I. You’ve made my life-long dream of living the gypsy life come true in this moment. I pray that you enjoy good health and many more magical moments. “Neried Allego” Melissa
* June 2017 Thank you for making a beautiful Welcoming home for all of us! Love from lady bug in ATL
* June 2017 – This is our 6th 7th 8th trip to the sanctuary, and every year is better than the last. The Wisteria and the Hermitage are our homes away from home. Time slows, time travels, time begins . . . Each time we cross the bridge to enter the sanctuary Michael built and shares. Oh, and the people you meet . . . they stay in your system, and you are happy for it.
* Michael, Weaver of Light. Thank you so much for your hospitality. This place of yours is pretty awesome. A wise man once said “I’ll be back”. I will follow his wisdom and do the same. Next time around I would like to spend some time for some of your wisdom. Thank you J
* Thank you for sharing the beautiful space you’ve created with us. So many quiet spots to sit and rejuvenate. We loved the thunderstorm and firefly show afterwards! – Abigail & David, Washington D.C.
* Thank you for a wonderful experience. Mountain Light Sanctuary has cleared our minds and filled our hearts. I only wish we had more to give. We will be back for sure. J
* 7-8-17 – Michael, Thank you for a truly magical experience. I am ever grateful for the time here. May you and The Sanctuary continue to be blessed and bless others in kind. Thank you for introducing me to the sacred words of the master. I am excited to learn the teaching it holds. I hope to return soon and lend my love to this land to repay the kindness is has shown. Until then . . . Warm smiles & love, Corey, Necole, Leigh Mae
* July 13th, 2017 A friend of ours who lived around this area told us about the Mountain Light in 2013. It was love at first sight. We have been coming every year since then. It’s our third year now coming with the kids. This place is magical. Heaven on Earth. My kids love the butterflies flying around, glittering and fluttering their wings through the sun shining. The glowbugs glowing in the dark. Being in the stream next to Narnia and throwing rock playing in the water, is the highlight of the trip. Hiking to the pools and the Elfen falls. This year we got to see the cave. We call this place home away from home. My kids call it the magical village. Ben, Michaela, Julia, Zuri
* We had such a wonderful night. I can’t wait to stay longer next time. Everyone was so good to us. Dierdre
* Thank you everyone for this amazing experience & space -Justin & Hannah
* 6/27/17 Thank you for a wonderful visit. Mountain Light Sanctuary is a magical place. I feel rejuvenated and inspired for creative thought and writing. I am looking forward to returning again. Best Always, Matthew Z
* I thoroughly enjoyed my visit here. This is a very special place and I plan to return! Everyone I met both staff and visitors . . . and the critters are happy and wonderful. Thank you Michael and Carrie God Bless! James McClure
* 7/29/17 What an amazing experience – Thank you Michael for your compassion and kindness you shared with our family. The sanctuary was perfect for a final family retreat before our little family unit disperses for the next generation’s adventures. What good fortune we had to meet with each other in such a safe environment.- it was exactly what we needed. May all who search and wander here find sanctuary and healing. Love, The Vanderbergs
*Michael & Crew & Faerie Folk – Thank you for making space for Dani and myself. It was also great to share some serenity with Buddy. It is likely one of his last adventures and it was beautiful. He looked for so many new places to sniff and explore – he looked so happy. We loved the Sanctuary and look forward to more adventure soon. Love & Light, Dani & Scott
* 11/27/2017 Thank you all for making our experience here wonderful. We absolutely love this place and hope to come back! Have a very merry Christmas/ holiday season and Happy New Year! Tamara & Veronica
* Thank you, Michael for this wonderful getaway! I hate to leave early but some things came up for me at home. I’ve included a donation for the night I didn’t stay because I value your hospitality. I hope to return again very soon! You’ve created an amazing space to escape and I plan to enjoy it often! Blessings, Roy R
* Michael, Daniel & Mark, Thank you so much for the warm welcome to this magical world. I feel so grateful to have spent a few days in such a beautiful space filled with so much care and positive intention. It really allowed me to recharge and refocus my energy for when I go back to NYC (a little different from here . . . J) Thank you for all the energy and love you put in to making this magical nook in the mountains. I hope to be back soon!!! With love, Lexy
* September 2017 – Dear Michael, Bless you for creating this slice of heaven. Our stay here went far beyond our expectations. We will return!! Pat G & Doreen L.
* Michael and Staff, I had such a wonderful time staying at Mountain Light. Everyone was so nice and helpful! I can’t wait to come back. This is such a special place. The kind of energy that attracts goodness and peace. Thank you for making my stay so pleasant.
* 10-19-17 – Michael, Many thanks for your stories and words of wisdom. You’ve truly opened my eyes to see the bigger picture, I was never the victim I’ve always been the survivor. There is a light at the end of this tunnel! J Words can’t express my gratitude for your time. It was truly an honor to share my story with you and to soak in your words of wisdom. Still processing it all now but happy for the transition and shift to the lighter side of life!! With much love, Jessica B
* Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful space., increasing your humanity’s vibrational frequency, and the guidance session. – Ashley
* October 2017 – Dear Michael, Thank you so much for your welcome during hurricane Irma. I was so impressed with the sanctuary you built and the people it attracts. I enjoyed our conversation on negative and positive ions and think of it when I am swimming in the ocean or kayaking and fishing in the river. Enclosed is my favorite picture from my stay. I look forward to returning to your mountain. Sincerely, Judy D. St. Augustine, FL
* Michael, Kole and Daniel, Thank you so much for holding this beautiful space . . . Maintaining and nurturing the high vibration in Light and Beauty. I am heading back to the “NOT” real world feeling restored and flowing. Bowing Deeply. All Love. Sat Nam! Swarenjoti Kaur
* Michael; Thank you, thank you, thank you! What a gift mountain light has been to me . .. You are always loved, Lori
* Michael, As always it was wonderful! I hope to be back with Raji & Maia in late Nov. J
The prose below is what I wrote on my last visit- I call it “Sanctuary”. Thank you for creating such a beautifully poetic place. Much Love,
“This place speaks of magical prose through poetical tongue. It calls from ancient moss-covered boulders where the footsteps of ancients once ran through the land. It is etched in the bark of the Great Grandmothers who rise like giants through the canopy, claiming their place here for millennium, while wisdoms spill forth through primal waters rushing from the veins of these mountains, crying out to be heard, Hush. Be still. And listen. – Wendy H
* 12-30-17 Dear Michael, Thank you so much for your generosity, kindness and compassion This was one of the best experiences of my life. I’ll never forget it and keep it- and you- in my heart forever,
Enclosed are two checks. One is payable now and the other is post-dated after my next paycheck (1-11-2018). I wish I could give infinitely more, though perhaps no dollar amount could fully cover what I gained here. Again- thank you. Love always, Lauren M
* Thank you very much for sharing this space. It offered great peace and relaxation for me. I appreciate all the little things you did for me to make me feel comfortable and warm (the blankets were very helpful). I will be back soon J. – Melanie
* Dear Mountain Light (Michael, Daniel, Cole, Mark and all others that help make this place magical), Thank you for having us at Mountain Light. It was so peaceful and I slept so well here. I really love this place and I know I’ll circle back again some day. We felt at home here and was great to have friends out here. I really appreciated Daniel and Mark’s music and the fires they made. It was nice meeting all of you. You have a great library here. Nick
* Mountain light beings, Money couldn’t ever repay you for your hospitality and good energy. Thank you for holding this sacred space. We will be back in the warmer months to play music again! Thank you for everything! Love and light, Katie and Alex
* Dear Michael, Words cannot explain how grateful we are for our experience at the sanctuary over these last few days. We are simply blown away. Both of us knew we were being called here, but neither of us knew what God had in store for us. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to discover his beauty in such an unbelievable way. We are so blessed by your hospitality and will never forget you or the kindness you’ve shown us throughout our journey. This place is truly magical and you will definitely see us again J. Thank you! Amanda A & Garrett W.
* February 20, 2018 – Dear Michael: Thank you for creating such a magical sanctuary & for sharing it with us! My heart is full of beauty and inspiration from my brief visit here! Please we would love to join your mailing list should you have one. Thank you, Jennifer & Victor
* Michael, we cannot thank you enough for welcoming us in to your sanctuary!! The torrential rain only helped to add a sense of power that this place holds. We look forward to many more visits to this place of magic and peace. – Andrew and Cassidy B.
* Micahel, Paa, Omni, and crew, Thank you for creating and maintaining a space for others to explore, enjoy and heal or grow. This has been very clarifying for me. Remember- resolve to spend more time with people who solve more problems than they cause! Peace, Kristin
* Michael, Thank you so much for a restful AND rejuvenating stay. It had the perfect balance of alone/togetherness/fellowship. This is a truly special place ya’ll have created. I am grateful beyond words. I hope to come back someday to commune with nature and share in good conversation, campfires and energy that is present in this place. Blessings, Ranae
* 6-13-18 Michael, Thank you so much for such an amazing space. This land is so magical and your kindness shines so bright. We will be back again and again.
Paa! Brother, thank you for being you. Thank you so much for being a light for my son (Jonah) and Ryan (Hub). Ryan and I really enjoyed our convos with you.
Yama- Keep Praying and keep healing. We are grateful for your music. You have inspired our little guy!
Much love, The Bergers Family
* Michael – I can’t thank you enough for creating this beautiful sanctuary of healing. I already can’t wait to come back. The impact of my time here is indescribable. I also appreciate the time you spent talking with me a great deal. You have truly created a magical place here and your generosity is nothing short of MAGICAL. Thank you from the bottom of my heart and I’ll see you again soon! Marina C
* Thank you so much for the stay! We are leaving a day early. I am so sorry for the short notice. All of my friend’s clothes got wet due to the rain but I will definitely be back!
* As a first time guest, my husband, Jason and I could have never fully prepared ourselves for the experience at Oconalufte. I’m sure there are more ways than one to describe the experience, but I’m overwhelmed and can’t find the words! The property here in simply gorgeous. We thank you for opening your gates to all to enjoy what you and others have worked so hard to establish and maintain. We look forward to many more visits as the “magic” will continue to open our hearts and minds each time. I have no desire to leave! Thank you, again! With much love, Melissa
*Michael and Tam, We appreciate you welcoming us. You have such a beautiful place. We wish there were more people like you in the world. So kind and accepting of all. We are sorry to leave without saying goodbye, but please understand. We have a 5.5 hour trip ahead of us. Thank you again! Jason and Kati r
* 22/4/18 – Sr. Michael – Muy Buenas tardes le doy las gracias for averme acojido en su casaes un bonita y maravilloso lugar que bella experiencia que pude vivir y lo poco que com. Parti con usteded fue un suano echo rrealidad sus hijos tambien. Son maravillosos nel son para mi es como un hermano u gracias a dios y a al a Katrina pude astar en es te bello lugar para mi fua in gran placur compartir con ustedes apesar que no puedes ingles para platicar de mucho que ubiera querido platican. Me senti en familia fue un gran placer conoserle ma loas lleby an my mante y mi Corazon no digo a Dios sino asta prontp que Dios me lo bandiga oy y siempre se despide se usted – Cristina
* Michael, Thank you very much for having us. What a nice, peaceful place. We will definitely plan a trip back. – Sujiltra
* Michael, Paa & friends, I have been struggling to find the right word to describe our stay here , and I am still at a loss for words. Elfhaven has restored my soul and allowed my family to connect on a deeper level. Thank you for sharing such an incredible place with us. You will definitely see us again soon. Love and light, Roselle, Sean and Ross
* To Michael, Paa, Nicholas and co., Thank you for welcoming us to Elfhaven and making us feel like part of the family. Being here has been such a special experience for us and I’m so thankful that we have been able to add Elfhaven to our box of memories. What you have developed here is truly magical. Piper has a renewed belief in fairies and will take away with her a sense of wonder and magic even fairytales wouldn’t create! All the best! Janine, Ian and Piper
* Dear Michael, For the 10th year, we are loving every minute of our stay. Thank you for providing us sanctuary! The Van Kirks
* 7/12/18 Dear Michael and beloved gnome crew, I first visited MLS in October 2009. Michael was packing up the place for winter, and he gifted me a palm tree that had lived on the patio for the season. I was profoundly struck at the time by the grace, generosity, flow and intelligence which innately embodies this land and her inhabitants. I knew I needed to bookmark this place as a sanctuary true to my heart. I’m amazed it has taken me so long to find myself fortunate enough to land here once again. Your vision and intention blankets this land in palpable comfort and ease, elevating everyone’s best potential. I’m so grateful special spots like this exist on this dear earth. I’m grateful for stewards such as yourself. I’m grateful for all prayers and benevolent forces supporting this sacred spot of beauty. May it continue to ripple out in abundance. I’ve enclosed a check. I appreciate the hospitality shown us and generosity in rates offered. We hope to support you more in the future as we are able. Much love and respect, Puma Tim
* 6-27-18 It’s a blessing to find this place at this time in our lives, a place to rest up, re-group, and set out from. We hope to come back and do it again. Thank you for everything . . . Steve and Linda
* Michael, Paa & Family, Thank you so much for creating such a phenomenal place. We feel blessed to have been able to stay in a place of such beauty. Being here has allowed us to reconnect with ourselves, each other & the earth around us. Stay Blessed, Roselle, Sean & Ross
* From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for bringing this magical place to life. My children opened up so much here, and we were at peace. Thank you, thank you! – The Higgins
*Family at MLS- Thank you for realizing this most amazing place. We loved every second here. Todd and Leah – 8-11-18
*Dear Michael, Thank you so much for this amazing, high vibe place. This place is truly magical and the people that attracts is the kind loving people . . . I hope to be back soon . . Love, Gigi
* Mountain Light staff, We enjoyed our time with you all this week. It was great to be able to unplug and unwind. Looking forward to a fall visit. Stay well. – Rebecca and Matthew
* Dear Michael- Thank you for yet another wonderful stay at this amazing respite from the world. It was special to share it with my son, and he understood the magic of this place right off the bat. I think this was #5 for me! I look forward to my next stay, and Soa wants to return with a friend. Best, Gillian
* Michael and Staff, Thank you for creating such a beautiful and healing place. I felt so welcomed and at home. Coming here I feel as if I have found a piece of myself I had lost long ago. This is an experience that will be forever in my mind and one of my favorite stories to tell. Until next year! With love, Sam – Aug ‘18
* This is a magical special sacred place filling my spirit and soul Much love, Kyle H 9/7/2018
* Thank you for a peaceful and healing weekend. Dancing with the elves! Gratitude, Light and Love from Jimmy T
* Through the silence, the chatter subsided. In the silence, the need or want to do anything more than what I am currently doing, being present and in the NOW. Within the silence, a symphony of classical music cascades my eardrums- I move in space, being here NOW, but not being “there” the need to be a social human, the basic human interaction is dissolved for I sit in your space, my space and embrace my transition in to a new chapter. The ones who are silent, are the ones with everything to say. Your book resonates me and my journey. Thank you for offering a sanctuary, for my transitional space. Mariea